Friday, September 12, 2008

Most of us remember where we were on 9/11/01.  I remember coming home from taking Anna to school, she was 5 and in kindergarten, Luke (3) was still at home.  Celina was getting ready for the day in the bathroom and I walked into our bedroom to finish my own preparation.  On the TV Matt and Katie were commenting on the surreal site of a plane sticking out of one of the WTC towers.  They wondered aloud whether or not it was a hollywood stunt or a tragic accident.  At that moment a second plane flew into the other tower.  "What is going on?"  I shouted so loud that Celina heard me over the hairdryer.  I got ready for work and went into the office.  As I monitored the events of that morning, we all remember the horror of other planes at the Pentagon and rural Pennsylvania.  We all wept together that night as we gathered for prayer.  I remember the sudden concern for our military and those we loved who were serving.  The quietness of the skies over those next few days was ominous.  The sudden anger in my soul towards those who were attacking us was impossible to ignore.  Today, seven years later, the taste of all that emotion is still fresh to me.   I bowed my head to remember and pray  just as I am sure most of you did.  As I did I was reminded that terrorism is not isolated to America.  There are those who have struggled under the terroristic threats of oppressors for centuries.  To think that we are alone in this struggle is awfully small minded and short sighted.  By definition terrorism is the use of violence and the threat of  violence to create a sense of fear and influence the ideology and doctrines of a nation or people group.  Terrorism is not new and continues today all around the world.  Wickedness and stupidity abounds in the hearts of those who inflict this insidious fear against others from the KKK, to Hezbollah, to Hamas, to al Quaeda, whether it is a burning cross, a bomb at an abortion clinic, or a suicide bomber in a crowded city street everyone around the world suffers from this evil.  Thursday the 11th became for me not only a day to remember my own country but also all those who struggle beneath the hatred and terror of those hate-mongers.  I want you to join me and pray continuously for those who live daily under the oppression of these terrorist.  I just read Psalms 10:1 - 18 (NIV)  and it really helped me to see this from God's perspective.  Maybe it will help you too.  

2 comments:

Lee Ann said...

So good to ride with you and hear a little about your trip! Can't wait to hear more

Claudia Lowery said...

I remember coming into the church office that day and we both had on the radio and tv and it was all too much. What a tragic day.
By the way, glad you've started doing some blogging here. I love blogspot. Visit mine sometime at http://claudiawrites.blogspot.com. I've been blogging here for over a year. It's a combination of a lot of things...writing, art, photos and more.